The Department of Zoology at School of Sciences, Gujarat University, Ahmedabad was started in 1964 with humble beginnings and today, it is at the forefront as one of the leading teaching and research centres in the country and abroad. This has been largely due to the efforts and dedication of a devoted band of teachers, researchers and students as well as the timely and appropriate financial backing of various National and International, Government and Non-Government Agencies viz. ICMR, DST, WHO, CSIR, Lady Tata Memorial Trust, Sir Dorabji Tata Trust, Jai Research Foundation, GEER Foundation, University Grants Commission (UGC), Gujarat State Biotechnology Mission (GSBTM) and Government of Gujarat (GoG). The various research activities of the Department are highlighted, some of them being unique and the only one of their kind in the whole of the country in a University Department..
1. The Department has received an amount of 1.98 crores from GSBTM and GoG for the development of Genetic Diagnostic Center (GenDiCe)
2. The Department organizes a Genetic Diagnostic Training programme for teaching the Medical field experts about Genetics of different diseases and further chromosomal studies.
3. Clinic facility for chromosomal, biochemical & hormonal analysis, after examination by our Doctors, is available. Prof. R.J.Verma is the Coordinator of the Clinic.
4. Genetic Disorders screening has been initiated at the department. These disorders include various conditions like Male & Female Infertility, Muscular Dystrophies, Diabetes and Thalassemia which seem to be prevailing in the society at a greater extent.
5. This Centre is run in Human Genetic Building in Zoology Department, which is one of its kinds in the University setup.
6. The Department has received 38 lakhs in 12 thFive year plan from which teaching aids and equipments are purchased.
7. Various research projects are underway and several research papers are published in various National and International journals per year.
8. The Department has seven faculty members (5 Professors & 2 Two Asst. Professors) Teaching positions. One position of Associate Professor has been advertised.
9. Ph.D. students are 30 including NET qualified, Maulana Azad Scholarship, Rajiv Gandhi National Fellowship and DST INSPIRE Fellowships working on various problems related to society.